[Villa Vicobello (Siena, Italy), decorative structures in the Renaissance "lemon garden"]
Lawson, Edward G. (Edward Godfrey), 1884-1968
Villa Chigi a Vicobello (Siena, Italy)
[between 1920 and 1930]
9 photographic prints : black and white ; 12 x 8 cm.
American Academy in Rome
The Villa is also known as Villa Chigi at Vicobello.
Part of: Landscape Collection; American Academy in Rome, Photographic Archive.
Collection known as "Lawson Collection".
Stamp with "AAR" and author's name on verso, as postcards.
The prestigious Renaissance "lemon garden" begins with a magnificent gate and ends into an exedra decorated with pillars at its corners and a large central rounded arch opening, framed by cypresses hedges. The upper part of the exedra is crowned by the family court of arms, surrounded by two vases.
The digital images described is a selection from more on same subject.
Lawson was a Fellow in Landscape Architecture, 1923-26, at the American Academy in Rome.
Closed access material (Archive)
Restricted : fragile material ; Access by appointment
Publication restricted (AAR copyright)
Go to Library CatalogGo to URBiS Catalog