Cosa Collection, 1948-1988

CREATED BY
American Academy in Rome

DATES
1948 – 1996

RESOURCES TYPE
Catalog cards, maps, drawings, plans, photographs, notebooks

HISTORICAL NOTES
The excavations of the Latin colony of Cosa (Ansedonia) in southwestern Tuscany, have become a reference point for the archaeology of Latin colonies and mid-Republican Rome itself. The collection documents the excavations carried out under the auspices of the American Academy in Rome by Frank E. Brown (1948–54, 1965–72) and continued in the 1990s under the direction of Elizabeth Fentress.

SCOPE AND CONTENT
The paper archive of the excavation at Cosa includes 3,000 catalog cards, over 2,500 maps, drawings, plans, close to 4,000 photographs, and 38 notebooks, well as 1,296 letters and 9,504 typewritten documents.  The materials consist of 80.6 linear ft. housed in the Archaeological Archive in the American Academy in Rome, 5B.

ARRANGEMENT AND PROCESSING INFORMATION
The Cosa photographs have been digitized by the Photographic Archive with the support of the Samuel H. Kress Foundation. The paper archive is housed in the AAR Archaeology Archive and is consultable by appointment.  Consult the Finding Aid for the paper archive prior to your visit.

 
 
 
Administrative Information

Restrictions
The Archaeological Archive is open to scholars upon request.

Contact Archaeological Archive
Phone: 0039.06.5846.417
Fax: 0039.06.5810.788

Rights
DHC Usage and Copyright Policy

Requests for commercial use and high resolution images and other professional services must be sent to the Academy's Photo Archive.

Access Notes
American Academy in Rome
Photographic Archive
Via Angelo Masina, 5B
00153 Rome 
Italy